Saturday, June 2, 2012

Preschool at Home - Week 7

IMG_2199


Riley and I had a lot of fun this week! There are so many things to learn about plants and just as many activities to reinforce the concepts. In case you didn't catch last week's post, our theme is plants for the second week in a row. We repeated the topic because I accidentally forgot to discuss our shape last week. This week wasn't much better, but we did talk about rectangles here and there. We also did a rectangle lighthouse craft made form construction paper, but I totally forgot to snap a picture of that when we were taking our pictures today. It didn't go with our theme anyway so it wouldn't have gone with the post. Riley has the letter of the week down, but she still says "P for Papa!!" Every time she sees one. Since Riley thought she was the vine last week, we switched our verse to Matthew 13:37: ... He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man.

IMG_2372

We have definitely enjoyed watching our "grass heads" grow their luscious locks. If only my hair (and Riley's, for that matter) would grow as fast we'd be in business. These pictures were taken today and we planted the grass seeds two weeks ago this coming Monday. The seeds were barely sprouting when I posted last week, but look at the grass now! On a side note, Riley thinks it's the funniest thing in the world to pretend that she's eating the blades of grass. I'm thinking she takes after her daddy.

IMG_2258

We talked about insects and animals living in plants again this week. We did this handprint/fingerprint picture one day after our discussion. Riley really enjoyed this one. Since our garage is overflowing with junk a little bit cluttered, Riley and I have been doing crafts like this one on the kitchen counter. Let me tell you, I'm very glad that Crayola paints are as washable as they advertise. My counter and dishcloths would be rainbow colored by now if that weren't the case. 

IMG_2248

After talking about the fact that many of the things that we eat grow on plants, Riley and I did this apple tree craft. We made the "leaves" of the tree by printing Riley's hand in the correct shape. The trunk is just a print of Riley's arm. For the apples, Riley used pencil eraser dipped in red paint and stamped it on the tree. 

IMG_2284

This was probably Riley's favorite craft this week. Handprints, a flower, a dragonfly, and pink? It simply doesn't get much better than that in this two year old's eyes. We made the center of the flower by gluing poppy seeds to the paper. Sprinkling poppy seeds (or anything, for that matter) is right up there with handprints in Riley's book. Messy things seem to score big points with this girl. 

IMG_2217

Since we have discussed plants' need for water and sunshine, we had to include sunshine in at least one of this week's projects. This was simple, but turned out really cute. We just used scrunchy basket filler from the dollar store and tissue paper to create a 3-D masterpiece. I've read that ripping and crinkling paper is good for a child's mind. If that's true, this craft definitely helped the brain cells. 

IMG_2311IMG_2343
IMG_2223

What would one of these preschool posts be without a couple bloopers from our photo shoot? I think the pictures this week definitely show Riley's personality to a T. Keeping up with this blog definitely help me take more pictures of Riley. I also snap a bunch of Caroline each weekend since she turns a new week old each Sunday. Going back and seeing these pictures and reading about what we did will be so much fun in years to come.


IMG_2254

All in all, we had a great two weeks looking at plants. It's a topic that has a plethora of great children's books to read, lots of fun activities to do, and plenty to observe right outside your own front door. I encourage you to find some books on the topic, plant some seeds, and do some crafts that will put a smile this big on your toddler's face.





Lasso the Moon
 
Weekend Bloggy Reading
    Saturday Show and Tell at Cheerios & Lattes
Saturday Show and Share at I Can Teach My Child
Making the World Cuter Monday at Make the World Cuter

10 comments:

  1. What an adorable collection of projects. There are so many good ideas to collect here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects!! And I LOVE Riley's outfit!! Sooo pretty and cute for the summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the pretty green tree she made- that should go on the wall! Thanks for the sweet comment over at my blog, Lauren, and as I enjoy meeting other Christian stay at home moms, I think Ill be following you from now on. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice projects. Thank you for sharing them. I've pinned them to my "kids" board on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg adorable pics! Great crafts too! :) Your daughter is a little sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I think we'll keep her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love so many things about your post - your photos are gorgeous, your craft projects are fantastic (definitely doing them with my 2.5 year old) and your daughter is AH-DORABLE! Thanks for sharing. -Malia {Playdough to Plato}

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love looking at these ideas for teaching! They are great! and once again, your kids are SO cute! Thanks for sharing on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you this friday! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful ideas! LOVE yours trees! Featured this today at the Weekly Kids' Co-op. Please stop by to grab a button! http://www.theiowafarmerswife.com/2012/06/weekly-kids-co-op-7-linky-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, I love the projects, but those pictures of your daughter are sooo cute! Thank you so much for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you’ll be back this week. Also, this would go great with the Summer Activities for Toddlers. I would love it, if you shared it there as well. (http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/summer-activities-for-toddlers) Thanks.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete